Thursday, 12 March 2015

Daiya Vegan Cheese Review + Vegan/Gluten & Soy Free Cheesy Sauce Recipe

Yesterday I decided to finally try the Daiya dairy-free cheese after seeing it in a local shop. 
My verdict is that it's not bad but definitely not as amazing as the hype makes it seem. Personally it tastes kinda like Cheezly but with a more solid texture. I don't like it on its own much at all but I wanted to use it up so I thought I would try it in my experimental Mac and Cheese recipe. Worked amazingly in that because I didn't even need to add extra cornstarch as a thickening agent for creaminess and the flavour works well in a sauce.
Verdict: Great for sauces but for everything else I think I'll stick with other vegan cheeses. I also think my sauce recipe - especially with the addition of Daiya - would work well if you want a creamier cheese sauce on your pizza or to do a "cheese-filled pizza crust" similar to the Dominos pizza ones. (Trust me, I'm a fat vegan!)



Note on Photos: I just cooked up a 2nd batch because I was hungry at 2-3am and had already eaten all the Mac & Cheese I had for dinner last night so the photos were taken then. Am aware my kitchen is a mess at this time xD For pasta I just used corn pasta.


~~~Recipe for the sauce~~~

Serves: 1-2 Calories: Too many!


Ingredients:

1/5 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon of vegan butter/margarine
Several drops of lemon juice (roughly a tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon each of of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
Mix of vegan cheeses - Daiya and Bio Cheese were used in this one but Tofutti slices, Cheezly & Vegusto work well too. Use a handful of each *Note: some vegan cheeses may not cause the sauce to thicken adequately. In this case also use a small amount of cornstarch or flour in addition to vegan cheese to achieve desired creamy texture.
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk works fine too)
Method:Melt vegan margarine and as it melts stir in nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic & onion powder & lemon juice. Add non dairy milk and cheeses and keep stirring till sauce turns thick and cheesy.
Serve with pasta OR use as a cheesy sauce topping/filling for pizzas, calzones, quesadillas or wherever you want to use it! May have to adjust thickness in some cases and play around with adding more/less of some seasonings and possibly adding additional ingredients such as chilli & cracked pepper to achieve desired taste. For a milder alfredo sauce I highly recommend going easier on Daiya and using more Bio Cheese though. Ground soaked raw cashews can also work well if vegan cheese is unavailable.

No comments:

Post a Comment