Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Interview With A Cosplayer: Some Crazy Mango Cosplay

It's been a while since I've posted up another cosplayer interview but today's interview is with our first male cosplayer: Aaron who also goes by the name of "Some Crazy Mango Cosplay". He's 27 years old, has a corporate bank job and enjoys gaming and cosplay in his spare time. His top three Final Fantasy games are VII, VIII and X and he also enjoys reading manga and watching anime. We chatted to Aaron about cosplay in Australia, Melbourne in particular as well

First of all, why do you cosplay? What motivated you to start? 
I like to cosplay as it allows me to break free of my corporate work life style and step into a world of imagination I love portraying a character and I try my very best to bring that character to life and do it justice. I’ve always wanted to cosplay as I have attended many Cons and love and always amazing and the quality of the costumes and seeing characters you recognise is always a good thing, I just never really had the confidence to do until Armageddon 2013 where I cosplayed as Squall from FFVIII. I just decided to do it and go with the flow and have not regretted a single moment of cosplaying now

What was the first convention you cosplayed at? Who did you dress up as and how did it feel being out and about in costume for the first time?
The first con I cosplayed at was Armageddon 2013. I did Squall from FFVIII and at first it felt a little weird and people were looking at me, but I got over that and just enjoyed my time. I really wish I had put a little more into the costume as I just threw together what I had but in the end it turned out great. And from that I was able to meet a lot of cosplayers

What are some of your current/past/future cosplays? How do you choose characters to cosplay? 
In 2014 I cosplayed as Raiden from the Mortal Kombat series at Supanova just one day
I didn’t actually attend OCC which was disappointing but I was in San Deigo at the time so I can’t complain. Then at Arma 2014 I cosplayed as Ezio from Assassins Creed and Sol Badguy. I think Arma both days has been my highlight so far as I did a team up with two other AC cosplayers and there was so many photos taken. And when I did Sol I wasn’t expecting many people to know the character as its from a little know video game series called Guilty Gear, but to my surprise I got a lot of photo requests and people knew the character. My future plans for cosplay this year are Supernova I will be part of a diablo 3 group where I will be the badass demon hunter on Saturday and on Sunday I will be the Dark Magician from Yu-Gi-Oh. I’m so proud and happy of those two cosplaays as the demon hunter as my first time using EVA foam and I had no help and my Dark Magician just looks amazing. And I will finally be doing some League of Legends cosplays this year when I do Lucain the Purifier and Twisted Fate the Cardmaster. I just do video game character that I enjoy to use. So for me when choosing a character it has to be one that I can see my self as in the game.


Since you're the first male cosplayer interviewed, have you noticed any gender imbalances within cosplay? ie does it seem to be primarily a "girl thing" or are many guys also involved?
I actually know a lot of Male cosplayers but you do find that the female ones seem to get more of the attention. Which I’m OK with unless the ones taking photos are being creeping about it. In my group of cosplay friends we have a good mix of male and female and we all just look out for each other. But as I said there are a lot more female cosplayers that are noticed over some males

Provide some examples of the planning and work that goes into creating your cosplay and give us a rough indication of how long it takes.
When I decide to do a character I will research like crazy! I try to find as many reference pictures possible and I will research the character as well to get more info on them try to learn some of their moves and stands/poses so I’m ready for photos. I think for the Lucian guns I researched for like 3 weeks to find some good photos and even then it was hard. I'm just glad I had a mate like Pheel Good Cosplay help me and teach me how to make them.

What would you consider the biggest challenges in cosplay? 
Hmm this is a tricky one. I'm not sure if I have an answer for that

Do you find cosplay to be costly? If so, what aspects of it would you consider the costliest and have you thought of ways to save money?
Cosplay to me is either costly or it isn’t. For example I once used Worbla which cost like $100 for a massive sheet and I needed two sheets to finish the cos off. But now I use EVA foam which is like $12 for a pack of four. It all depends on what materials you are using I guess.

"Cosplay is not consent" has recently become a big issue amongst cosplayers and convention-goers alike. What are your thoughts on this matter? 
I'm all for this movement; nothing I cant stand more than creeps trying to touch females in general let alone those in cosplay. I know in Armageddon I was with a friend who was in a revealing outfit and I was always like a metre away from her when she was getting photos just in case. But that’s the good thing about the cosplay community here in Melbourne, we all look out for each other. And the way I see it is - if you wouldn’t do it normally in public why do it to some one in a cosplay? So hands off!

In relation to the "Lara Croft Fridge Raider" incident, what are your thoughts on cosplayers who cosplay "outside their body type"? Do you think body type often plays a role in choosing who to cosplay or how others perceive someone's cosplay?
I say if your confident enough then why not cosplay as you feel. No matter what you do people will talk. So as I said if your confident then do it. And good on you for doing it. It takes a lot of courage to cosplay outside your body type.

How do you feel cosplay has evolved, particularly throughout Australia, over the last decade? ie do you think it's gained more or less popularity and acceptance and why do you think this is.
Most definitely cosplay as grown here in Australia! You just gotta look at the number of people now cosplaying at cons! It;s amazing! Not to mention everyone loves getting photos with people in cosplay.

Your cosplay page is "Some Crazy Mango Cosplay"... how did you come up with this name?
Well my personal nickname is Mango so the part was easy to come up with. I know I just felt like doing something random and crazy which is what I do often. So when I thought up the name I was like "hell yeah that is perfect for me".

If things such as money, time, and any physical limitations ie sewing skills were not a problem and you could cosplay anyone or anything... who would you cosplay?
Zero from the Megaman X series. The dude is badass to a T

& finally, what is the thing you enjoy most about cosplaying
The chances to meet and make new friends, learn of each other and the interactions we have.

Thank you to Aaron (Some Crazy Mango Cosplay) for taking part in the interview~

For more info on Aaron and to follow his work in progress feel free to give Some Crazy Mango Cosplay a like on Facebook:
Some Crazy Mango Cosplay on Facebook

We hope you enjoyed reading this interview and stay tuned for more cosplay and gaming channel features :) If you're a cosplayer and would like to be featured in a future interview feel free to email Obzidian @ electricandroidblog@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment